“Intelligent Transportation Systems” (ITS) are communication technologies that monitor congestion and respond in real time to improve traffic flow and safety, especially during peak travel periods.
Examples of ITS applications include:
- Traffic control centers
- Video surveillance equipment that monitors roadways
- Variable message signs that display traffic information
- Vehicle detection devices that report traffic counts, speed and travel time;
- Roadway sensors that monitor weather and road conditions;
- Roadway service patrols that respond to incidents
A regional ITS Architecture was developed for the Lexington Area MPO to provide a roadmap for ITS integration over the next ten years. It represents a shared vision of how each agency’s systems will work together in the future, sharing information and resources to provide a safer, more efficient, and more effective system for travelers in the region.
Please click here to access the Lexington ITS Architecture subsite.